- Link to A Grounded Faith: Reconnecting with Creator and Creation in the Season of Lent, a Lenten devotional that invites participants to reconnect with our Creator and with Creation as a core dimension of Christian practice. The resource can be used alone or in conjunction with Becoming Rooted: One Hundred Days of Reconnecting with Sacred Earth by Randy Woodley, a recognized Cherokee descendant, writer, professor and co-sustainer of Eloheh Farm and Indigenous Center for Earth Justice in Yamhill, OR.
Lenten Devotional 2022 – EcoFaith Recovery
- Link to “God’s Creation PREACHES! Psalm 19 Links Nature and Torah” by Leah D. Schade provides ideas for a bible study or other educational offerings.
God’s Creation PREACHES! Psalm 19 Links Nature and Torah | Leah D. Schade (patheos.com)
- Link to the ELCA Caring for Creation: Vision, Hope, and Justice social statement explains the ELCA’s teachings on ecology and the environment, grounded in a biblical vision of God's intention for the healing and wholeness of creation. A study guide is available.
Caring for Creation - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (elca.org)
- Link to Wondering at Creation by Rev. Dr. Brian Peterson, Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, is a lesson which helps youth explore the intersection of faith and science and consider what it means to be a steward of creation. A webinar and PowerPoint also available in the archive. Part of the Practicing Discipleship Initiative 2016 through the ELCA Youth Ministry Network.
ELCA Youth Ministry Network - PD2016: Wonder (elcaymnet.org)
- Link to “Earth Day in Hawaii: 6 Ways to Honor God’s ‘Aina” by Sarah Klitzke at buildfaith.org presents ideas to honor God’s land based in Hawaiian tradition.
Earth Day in Hawaii: 6 Ways to Honor God's 'Aina (buildfaith.org)
- Link to “Creating a StoryWalk® for Faith Formation” by Nicole Powell at buildfaith.org is a way to engage people of all ages, but especially children, using yard signs to display children’s storybook pictures. Families can share the journey, reading the book together and discussing as they move from one sign to the next. Helpful information is provided for construction of the StoryWalk by both Powell and the original creator of the concept, Anne Ferguson. Consider using a book on creation care or one of the other themes.
Creating a StoryWalk® for Faith Formation (buildfaith.org)
- “Creation Care Children’s Message” provides a bible verse, short message, discussion questions and an activity suggestion. This could be used during worship or expanded into a Sunday School lesson.
Discipleship Ministries | Creation Care Children's Message (umcdiscipleship.org)
- Link to Community Gardens How-To-Guide from ELCA World Hunger which provides practical tips on logistics, crafting a vision and incorporating a community garden into the life of your congregation.
ELCA World Hunger - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Link to Community Water Awareness: Church, Home, Community is an intergenerational activity which involves adults, youth, and children in connecting gratitude, stewardship, and awareness of God’s blessings in the form of our water. For this project, a group of any size can organize a “water tour and clean up” or for a shorter time, an “inventory project,” where participants tour, observe, and respond.
- Link to ReNew: The Green VBS, a 5-day curriculum that helps kids in grades PreK-Grade 6 to grow in faith, have fun, and care for God’s Creation. Each day, kids explore Jesus’ Parable of the Sower with three age-appropriate activities. Completely downloadable.
ReNew: The Green VBS | Sparkhouse (wearesparkhouse.org)
- Link to ELCA World Hunger’s Tree of Healing VBS (2022) focuses on healing in an expansive sense – the healing of mind, body, spirit, community, and creation. Through skits, stories and activities, participants will learn what it means to be healthy in body, mind and spirit. This program includes sessions on grief, mental wellness, environmental health and more. The leader’s guide offers suggestions for in-person and online activities for children of all ages, including new videos for 2022. Available as a free download. Also available from last year: River of Life with a focus on clean water.